|What You’ll Need (serves 4):|
• 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
• 1 cup vegetable stock
• 1/2 cup cornmeal
• 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 2 cloves garlic
• 3 medium crimini mushrooms
• 2 Tbs oil for pan-frying (you can bake these too if you want to avoid oil)
• Relish for topping
1. In a mixing bowl, smash the garbanzo beans until they are a flaky mass (don’t overdo it, some texture is good).
2. Dice the garlic and mushrooms. Mix them into the bowl with the garbanzo beans.
3. Combine the flax and vegetable stock, then add it to the mixture.
4. Add in the cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring an oiled frying pan to medium heat
6. With your hands, make 1″-thick cakes about 2″ in diameter
7. Fry on each side until golden and crispy (or bake at 350º for 15-20 min on a baking sheet w/ wax paper)